Always up before the sun, I like to start my day with something filling and loaded with vitamins and nutrients. This green smoothie bowl may look like blended grass, but I promise if you close your eyes and take a bite you’ll keep digging for more.
Quick and easy side dish or bump it up with some eggs to make an ideal breakfast. Easy ingredients and delicious flavor.
2 servings of risotto (Cook basically like any other kind of rice)
1 carton of baby white mushrooms
2 Red Pepper Chicken Sausage (lots of other kinds to choose from)
1/8 cup white onion
1 tbs olive oil
Chicken Broth (depending on what the risotto box says for water)
salt, pepper, garlic salt
1. First get the risotto cooking. I like to cook mine in chicken broth versus water to add more flavor.
2. While that is going chop up mushrooms, white onion and sausage. The sausage is already precooked which is a huge time saver and makes things WAY easier. Raw sausage with skin weirds me out.
3. Throw in the chopped veggies and sausage into the risotto after its fluffy and fully cooked. Let simmer together with 1 tbs olive oil (I have my garlic infused kind) and stir fry together. I topped mine with an egg and had it for breakfast but that’s just me!
Lately I have been trying to perfect baking muffins and breads with coconut flour ….unsuccessfully. Coconut flour tends to leave things dry and DENSE from my experience. Therefore, I switched to almond flour and gluten free baking flour (brown rice and tapioca flour blend) as a better alternative. These muffins turned out fluffy and rich with flavor instead of the bricks I’ve been making with coconut flour.
(makes 6 medium muffins)
1 cup almond flour
1/2 cup gluten free flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1tbs poppy seeds
1/4 cup milk
2 tbs fresh lemon juice
1/2 tbs almond extract
2 tbs butter
2 tbs honey
lemon zest (optional but really adds punch of flavor)
1. Put all dry ingredients together, mix throughly then set aside.
2. microwave butter and honey together, then whisk in the remaining wet ingredients. (milk, eggs, lemon and almond extract)
3. Stir in dry ingredients slowly until throughly mixed. Grease muffin tin and fill about 3/4 full. Bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes. Top with a little honey and lemon zest!
I’m a big fan of chicken sausage from Trader Joes. I always buy the apple chicken sausage whenever I am in the cities. However, I was exploring our local co-op in Sioux Falls and found Applegate chicken turkey roasted pepper sausage. It is delicious! Has quite a kick and pairs well with sautéed veggies or eggs!
1 Applegate Chicken Turkey Sausage Link
1/2 medium zucchini
1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
1/2 red bell pepper
1 tbs chopped onion
1) the sausages are already pre cooked which is a huge time saver. I chop up the sausage, zucchini, mushrooms and pepper into thin slices. Throw it on in a pan with olive oil and onion. Let it fry up for five minutes on medium heat. Add some poached eggs and you’re set!
A little chocolate for breakfast never hurt anyone. Overnight oats were something I first tried in London last summer. I fell in love. They aren’t as gooey and sloppy as normal heated oatmeal. I have messed around with the recipe using chia seed and yogurt for added texture and creaminess but I prefer them with just almond milk. If you are feeling daring add 1 tablespoon of chia seed with an extra 1/2 cup of almond milk. To pump up the creamy factor reduce the milk to 1/4 cup and add 1/3- 1/2 cup yogurt.
1/2 cup Rolled Oats
3/4 cup milk of choice
1 tbs Almond Butter
1 tbs stevia, honey or sweeter of choice
1 tbs coconut flakes
A healthy amount of dark chocolate chips
1) Add oats, milk, almond butter and honey into a bowl, mix together. Garnish with coconut and dark chocolate chips Refrigerate overnight and eat in the morning- I always add a dash bit more of milk to it depending on how well your oats absorbed the milk.
Bananas and peanut butter are a perfect combination in any recipe. Whenever go to Juice Stop for a smoothie I would get the same one……..every single time. Therefore, it made sense to just revamp and create my own and save my poor little wallet the 5 dollars. Sometimes I freeze the smoothie for a few hours so it becomes more of an ice cream. Delicious little treat for the hot summer months.
1/3 cup Gluten Free Rolled Oats
1 medium frozen banana
2 tbs peanut butter
1 tbs honey
1/2 cup + 2 tbs milk of choice
Optional toppings- peanuts, dark chocolate chips, coconut, cinnamon or more peanut butter!
1) Add all ingredients into a blender and garnish with toppings! Enjoy. I use a ninja bullet, best purchase I have ever made.
When I roadtripped with three of my high school friends to the Grand Canyon we made multiple pit stops on the way. One of my favorite places with Zion National Park. After finishing a climb called Angels Landing we were famished and hit up a small breakfast joint called Oscars. I had the best Huevos Ranchos of my life and tried to take note of how it was made while vigorously stuffing my face. I think I came close to replicating it but I think I need to make a visit back just to make sure! 🙂
4 corn tortillas
6 oz pulled pork
1/4 cup minced onion
1/2 cup black beans
1/2 red bell pepper sliced small
1/2 cup salsa
1/4 cup shredded pepperjack cheese
1 tbs olive oil
2 tbs chopped cilantro
2 tsp chipotle seasoning
1 tsp chili powder
salt and pepper
1) In a small sauce pan add pulled pork, onion, peppers, salsa and seasonings. Heat until simmering for about 2-3 minutes, don’t bring to a boil. Add beans. I don’t like to add the beans right away because they tend to get too mushy if they are cooked for too long and really just needed to by heated to desired eating temperature.
2) Prepare poached egg in the microwave. Individually crack eggs into small bowls filled with 2/3 cup water. Cover and heat for 45 seconds. Uncover and heat for 15-20 more seconds.
3) In a small saucepan add olive oil and heat corn tortillas in a pan for a few minutes. Note: Don’t try to short cut it and microwave with a paper towel unless you want dry, tar like tortillas.
4)Assemble. Create a sandwich with the tortillas filling it will bean/pork sauce. Top with more sauce, cheese, egg, avocado slices and cilantro. Garnish with salt, pepper, more salsa or hot sauce. Ole!
I have a serious obsession with oatmeal. I eat it 3 to 4 times a week. So, in lieu of spicing it up a tad I make granola. For me I like to have a balance between salty and sweet. Granola can be quite tricky to make as most of the ingredients burn easily. The key for me is to have a careful eye and keep the oven on LOW heat.
2 cups gluten free oats
1/2 cup pepitas
1/2 cup sliced almonds
1/2 cup chopped up pistachios
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup raisins, or dried fruit of choice
1/4 cup coconut oil
3 tbs honey (or maple syrup)
1 tbs cinnamon
2 teaspoons nutmeg
1) Preheat oven to 275 degrees First melt the coconut oil, honey, cinnamon and nutmeg together in a small bowl
2) Put oats in a medium sized bowl and drizzle about half the honey/oil mixture on the oats. Stir around so everything is well coated. Place oats on a stone baking pan and spread as evenly as possible. Stone works much better than cookie sheets because it helps crisp up the oats without burning.
3) Bake for 10-15 minutes, flipping them around at least once Next add the pepitas almonds and pistachios to the pan. drizzle the remaining more oil and honey mixture and stir. Try to spread the nuts and oats as thinly as possible to ensure even cooking. (may need multiple stones or cookie sheets) Bake for another 7-10 minutes
4) Lastly adding the raisins and coconut flakes. Coconut can go from a beautiful brown color to black in about thirty seconds. But with a low temp this is very unlikely unless you get hooked watching episodes of the Office….its been done before. Now that all ingredients have been assembled cook for another 5-10 minutes until raisins puff up and coconut is slightly browned. 5) Remove from heat and add salt immediately so it sticks to the warm and gooey granola. Let it sit out until cooled and seal up in tuber wear. It stays good for 7-10 days but there is no way it will last you that long, I promise!